There is a little restaurant in Texas that we go to every holiday season. I look over the menu over and over and every single time I order the French Dip sandwich. Steak, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and all topped with cheese and soaked in au jus! What an incredible combination. This recipe takes a little bit of a lighter approach with the flank steak over the sirloin – I prefer this over the extra fat in a sirloin.
Mushroom French Dip
- 6 hoagie buns
- 1 pound tenderized flank steak seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 packet au jus seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Add olive oil to a hot skillet.
- Sauté onion, bell pepper and mushrooms. Once onion is softened, place vegetables aside.
- Season flank steak with salt and pepper.
- Sear flank steak on each side for 3-4 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes then cut against the grain into thin strips.
- Add aus jus packet and water to skillet and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place steak in aus jus for 2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 broil.
- Place hoagies on baking sheet, add steak & veggies to the sandwich and top with provolone.
- Broil sandwiches for 3 min or until cheese is melted and bread is browned.
- Serve with a small bowl of aus jus for dipping.