Italian food is something I crave just about every other day and the great thing is – it is probably the easiest thing to throw together and the hardest thing to mess up! This recipe uses greek yogurt and low fat cream of mushroom to keep it on the healthier side and cut out a lot of the extra fat.
Skinnier Chicken Florentine
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp salt & pepper
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 14 oz can cream of mushroom 98% fat free
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 6 oz bag of spinach
- rosemary or thyme optional
- Season chicken thighs with garlic powder, paprika, Italian seasoning and olive oil. For more flavor you can combine in a zip lock and let marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Add chicken to a cast iron skillet or dutch oven on medium to high heat. Let cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden on the outside. Chicken does not have to be fully cooked because it will continue to cook.
- Chop and add onions to the skillet. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream of mushroom, greek yogurt and chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add in spinach and tomatoes. let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Top with parmesan cheese and extra herbs. Serve hot over roasted potatoes, pasta or rice.