Is there anything better than a mashed potato with a crisp topping full of cheese and herbs? I didn’t think so! These potato souffles are everything that dreams are made of and the perfect addition to a seated dinner. They are impressive to the eye and even more impressive to the taste buds!
- 1.5 pounds baking potatoes peeled and quartered
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 2 cups Gruyère cheese
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 egg yolks separated
- 3 egg whites separated
- juice from 2 lemons or a pinch of cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 375.
- Peel & Boil potatoes until soft. Add in butter, garlic, salt, pepper, cheese and herbs.
- Mash potatoes until creamy.
- Add in egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg whites & lemon juice or cream of tarter until they foam and peak.
- Stir in half of the egg whites. Pour mixture into soufflé dish.
- With a spatula, top potato mixture with remaining egg whites & lemon juice.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until potatoes have puffed and are golden on top.